Sunday, August 23, 2009

Strawberry Pie

(Ok, so I'm a little strange because I take pictures of so much food)
I got this recipe from the very first edition EVER of Taste of Home Magazine.
I've kept it all these years because it is truly one of my favorites.
You can also use the glaze for strawberry shortcakes -yummmm

Strawberry Pie
(I usually get 2- 9" pies not heaping full)

Start with dad's famous pie crust - bake and set aside to cool

3 quarts fresh strawberries, divided
1 1/2 c. sugar
6 Tbs cornstarch
2/3 c. water
Red food coloring (optional) I usually don't use it

In large bowl, mash enough berries to equal 3 cups.
In saucepan, combine the sugar & cornstarch.
Stir in the mashed berries and water; mix well.
Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
Remove from heat; add food coloring.
pour into large bowl and chill for 20 minutes stirring occasionally, until mixture is just slightly warm.
Fold in remaining berries.
Pile into pie shell.
Chill for 2 -3 hours
Top with homemade whipping cream or cool whip

No comments: