Saturday, August 22, 2009

Addictive Sweet Stuff from Heck

OK, so that's not really what this recipe is called, but it should be. When I first made this recipe, given to me by Grandma Sanders, I only had enough karo to make 1/2 batch. I thought that made a pretty big batch but little did I know... the second time I made it I decided to make the full recipe and wow... Miranda and I have been eating this addictive sweet stuff from heck all week! I even shipped a baggie full to Heather in Washington and I still have a ton left! (surprise Heather.. I don't think she's received it yet).

Anyway... Granny has been making this yummy mix for quite a while and it is everyone's chex mix of choice. I asked her if she would share her secret recipe and she did!! I also found out one of her tricks is the coconut flakes. They are the unsweetened big flakes from a health food store. I bought mine in St. George where Granny said to go, but I'm sure most health food stores will have it.

And so... without further delay... here is the recipe for
The addictive sweet stuff from heck...
I really don't know the real name for it so we'll just call it

Granny's Sweet Chex Mix

Mix together in large bowl
1 box Corn Chex
1 box Honey Grahams
(Granny likes to add other cereal as well like Cinnamon Toast Crunch andHoney Combs)
I added Rice Chex and Honey Nut Chex ... just adjust the above cereals to include the one's you like)

Stir in 3 cups Coconut - Unsweetened lg flakes
Then add any of the following you would like...
Slivered Almonds, Pecans, Cashews, Peanuts

Now for the good stuff... mix together in saucepan

4 cubes butter (use the real stuff... not margarine)
2 2/3 cups sugar
2 2/3 cups light Karo syrup

Bring ingredients to a boil.
Continue boiling for 3 minutes longer
then add a drop of vanilla and a sprinkle of cinnamon if desired.
(I haven't added the cinnamon when I make it, but Granny loves it)

Once the syrup is all bubbly and thick... pour over your cereal mixture and stir well.

Pour mix evenly onto sprayed cookie sheets to dry....
(after a few hours, turn over to dry back side as well)

And that's it... once all dry put into ziplocks to keep fresh.

I know you'll enjoy this as much as I have... (well, hopefully not quite as much as I have)


2 comments:

Natalie said...

LOL, love the name. Might have to make some this holiday season.

heather said...

Loved the bag you sent Ginger. I think that Ian ate most of it though. He is convinced that I need to make it for him every week!